Sunday, June 19, 2011

Campbell's arrival (from the mother's perspective)

Campbell arrived on May 13, 2011. This is a shortened version of her birth story. I journaled more for her baby book, but I also want to remember the details on the blog. I started having contractions around 2 am, finally got up at 4:30 and decided that I wasn't going to school that day to allow labor to progress. Chris and Piper went about their normal routines. My contractions slowed around 11 am, his mom arrived at 1:30 pm. I was waiting for Chris to get home and then my plan was to walk to increase my contractions. We did one lap around the block and Chris said it was time to go the hospital because my contractions were 2-5 min. apart. We came inside, took a "family hug" picture at Piper's request and then left. It was 5:30 pm on a Friday evening, and he had to get gas. I did not tolerate contractions in rush hour traffic very well, but we finally made it to the hospital at 6:15 pm.


Our last picture as a family of 3










One final shot of my pregnant belly

It was shift change for the nurses when we got there so it took a while for someone to check me. I sent Chris 3 times to get a nurse and tell her I needed my epidural, when she finally came she didn't say anything but ran right back out of the room. We heard her yelling in the hall to call anesthesia ASAP because I was at 8 cm. Then 5 nurses came rushing in the prepare me and I lost it. I thought there wasn't going to be enough time for me to get my epidural. Fortunately, there was.









Feeling good after the epidural. I was a wreck before it.

After being at the hospital for 2 hours, it was time to push. I pushed 3 times and she was out. Chris cut the cord and they laid her on my belly. It was great! She weighed 7 lbs. 4 oz. and measured 20 1/2 inches long. She was much smaller than Piper.









































Her eyes are different from Piper's, but she has the same ears, nose, and mouth - all from Chris.










Uncle Alwyne and Uncle Marqus were our first visitors at midnight that night.











The next day Chris went home and got his mom and Piper to bring them to the hospital to meet Campbell. Piper was so excited to meet her new sister.












She couldn't wait for her turn to hold the baby. She climbed right up and sat down on the couch like we had been telling her for weeks she had to do when she held the baby.










A sweet kiss











Love at first sight!!!!











In grandma's arms











With "grandma Cindy"











Snuggling with Jackie











In the traditional "McCarter" going home outfit














Riding out with my two girls













We were very fortunate to have Chris' mom with us for ten days after Campbell's birth to allow us time to adjust and rest. We all love Campbell so much and can't imagine how life was without her!

No comments:

Animoto.com

Our First Home

Our First Home